History of Wofford Heights Branch Library
Wofford Heights’ first library was established in a small room at the Odd Fellows Hall in December 1953 and was only open 4 hours per week. In 1958, the branch moved to the same building that housed the Post Office. In 1966, the space was expanded. In 1985, the Kern County Board of Supervisors, in response to public demand for a children’s area, approved a new lease to enlarge the branch to 1,100 square feet by knocking out a wall between two rooms in the building. In total, the library remained in that facility for nearly 44 years. On May 2, 2002, the new branch opened in a new leased 2,025 square-foot location. Seating in the facility doubled, more shelving led to an expansion of the collection, and for the first time, the facility was handicapped accessible. With a grand view of Lake Isabella and the surrounding mountains, the Wofford Heights Branch continues to serve the residents of this rural community.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.