History of the Wasco Branch Library
The Wasco Branch Library first opened its doors in 1912 in the same location as the current building, on the corner of Broadway and Seventh Street, in a room within the Wasco Grammar School. In 1920, a new school was built on Seventh Street and the library moved into a special room that had been set aside for its use. On June 24, 1922, a new building that included a raised floor, stucco walls, and red Spanish tile roof was dedicated. It had a fireplace that was kept burning during the winter. The building was demolished in 1967, and the library was temporarily housed until a new facility could be completed in July 1968. The location of the Wasco Branch Library is convenient for class visits, since it sits adjacent to a primary school, and is on a main street.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.