History of the Tehachapi Branch Library
Like many early branches, the Tehachapi Branch Library was forced to occupy whatever space was available. When established in 1912, it shared quarters with the Justice of the Peace in a corner room of the old Masonic building. Later, the library was moved to the City Hall and then to the Freeman Building. A new facility on Green Street was opened on November 2, 1931. In 1981, a new facility was built on 450 West F Street and leased to the county. This 4,500 square-foot building was carpeted, had a heat/air conditioning unit, handicapped access restrooms, and a workroom. The move was orchestrated by library headquarters and Branch Supervisor, Joyce Stowers. It literally consisted of boxes moved from person to person in a long line from the old branch to the new. The former library building is now the Tehachapi Museum. In January 2005, the branch opened in a new location at a 5,000 square-foot leased store front in the Tehachapi Crossing Center. Although small, the branch is enhanced by original artwork of the Tehachapi area done by artists Gary Wilder, B.J. Mitchell, and David Rheinhart, and is a vital part of library services to the Tehachapi community.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.