History of the Taft Branch Library
The Taft Branch Library was established in 1912, under the first county Librarian. The town was extremely proud of its branch, setting up hours that allowed men that worked in the oilfields to check out books after their afternoon shift and printing new titles in the newspaper regularly. The branch move a couple times over the years. By 1955, the Taft Branch Library needed a much larger facility. A new 4,725 square foot building was designed and built. The Taft Branch Library still operates out of the same building facility today.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.