Submitting Your Work for Kern County Library’s Consideration
The following criteria are followed for books to be considered for the Local Author Shelf:
- The author or illustrator is a resident of Kern County.
- Adult and juvenile books are acceptable.
- The item meets basic criteria in the Materials Selection, including appropriateness for both a public collection and format for circulation.
- The Kern County Library may add donated books to the Local Author Shelf, but does not purchase titles for the Local Author Shelf.
- The book is added to the general collection or is already a part of the general library collection.
Local authors may work directly with individual Branch Managers to play an appearance at a specific branch. Should the local author wish to discuss holding programs at more than one branch, please contact Andie Apple, Assistant Director of Public Services at (661) 868-0723.
For Physical Submissions:
You may send either:
- a single copy of your work for evaluation
- information about your books (please include reviews, author information, & ordering details)
to: Local Author Submissions
Kern County Library
701 Truxtun Ave.
Bakersfield, CA 93301
If you publish your eBook through Smashwords, we are able to consider your eBook for inclusion in our eLibrary’s collection on OverDrive. It must be made available for free and a Local Author eBook Submission form below must be filled out informing the Kern County Library of its availability. The eBook will then be evaluated, according to the Kern County Library’s Materials Selection Policy.