History of the Lamont Branch Library
The first public library in Lamont was opened in June 1912. It was located in the Weedpatch home of Phoebe Wells. Growth was rapid in the Lamont region, with the influx of workers in the oil industry and in 1935, the library was moved to a new building. In 1952, the Kern County Board of Supervisors purchased a lot to construct a building that would house the library and a public health center. The facility was opened in January 1953. The branch remained in that building until January 1974, when it was relocated to a newer and larger location. Five years later, the branch was moved yet again to the former Lamont Community Building. To meet the ever growing needs projected for the population in 1990, construction for a new building was made possible through funds provided by the California State Library under the Library Services and Construction Act, Title II, Community Development Block Grant funds from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development. The old building was demolished, the new building was built, and opened to the public in early Spring of 1998.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.