History of the Kern River Valley Branch Library
Since its humble beginnings on March 6, 1914, the Kern River Valley Branch has gone through several name changes, locations, and custodians. It began as the Isabella Branch in a schoolhouse. The branch remained in this location until 1920, when it was moved to the home of Anna Andress. In 1930, the library was moved to the home of Gertrude Suhre, where it remained until 1937, when it then moved to Suhre’s husband’s business, the A.O. Suhre General Store and Post Office. In 1951, the U.S. Corps of Engineers constructed the Isabella Dam, causing yet another move for the branch. In 1964, the library shared a space with a real estate office; in 1968, it occupied part of the Kern Valley Sun newspaper. After moving three times between 1970 and 1982, the branch finally moved into its current, permanent building, which was constructed in 1990.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.