Who We Are
The Friends of the Kern County Library, Inc. is a non-profit organization that supports the goal of excellent library service and resources for all the people of Kern County. With used book and magazine sales and through other activities, the Friends of the Kern County Library, Inc. helps endorse programs, the purchase of library materials, funds for the countywide Summer Reading Program, and more. Get into contact with your local branch’s local Friends group!
Board of Directors
• Sherry Kelley – President
• Georgia Bailey – Vice President
• Theresa Borkovich – Secretary
• Martha Florin – Treasurer
• Joe Bugni
• Gary Frazier
• Darleen Jehnsen
• Robert Mergler
• Leanne Morgan
• Lyn Sanford
• Ginger Smith
• Mary Anne Steele
• Nancy Warnick
The Friends of the Kern County Library, Inc. and individual branch Friends groups are completely dependent on the time given by volunteers in various capacities and are actively recruiting new volunteers. Currently, there are two classification of volunteers: weekly volunteers that sort, clean, price, and pack books/materials for the upcoming Book Sales and Book Sale volunteers that perform various tasks associated with preparing for the Book Sale.
If you have some time and would like to meet new people, share, and increase your knowledge of books, and help the Library – we would like to hear from you! If interested, please call (661) 868-0796 and leave a voicemail.
• A Packer/Unpacker – Helps before & after Book Sale with set-up & take-down.
• A Counter at point of sale – Helps count number of books for each purchase.
• A Cashier – Handles money transactions at the cashier station.
• Customer Service Guide – Helps customers, answers questions, assists in carrying out purchases, refill tables with more books, hand out shopping bags, and ensure general customer satisfaction.
• A Heavy Lifter – Responsible for lifting heavy tables, boxes of books, moving furniture, and other tasks associated with the Book Sale (approx. 30-35 lbs).