History of the Frazier Park Branch Library
The first library service in the Frazier Park area was called Lockwood and was established on November 2, 1914 in a schoolhouse. In 1915, it was closed and not reopened. On October 14, 1918, the Tejon School District agreed that its library would become a branch of the Kern County Free Library and that the trustees of the district would transfer its library fund annually to the County Library Fund. Later, in 1919 Pershing School was added to this agreement, and in 1920 Lebec School was added to this agreement. In 1968, school library service was phased out of county library service. At the same time in 1941, the Frazier Mountain Park Branch was housed in the home of Mrs. J.H. Lashly, librarian. By May 1950, service had been moved to two small racks of shelving in the local grocery store. In 1954, service was expanded when the bookmobile made stops in Frazier Park weekly. Service jumped locations once again into a small leased space. With the dramatic population growth of the Frazier Park Mountain area, it was clear that the area needed a larger space. The Kern County Library was granted California State Library funding made available by the California Reading and Literacy Improvement and Public Library Construction and Renovation Bond Act of 2000 to build a new Frazier Park Branch. The application was approved by voters and the Grant Agreement was entered into on April 20, 2004. On October 22, 2011, the new 10,000 square-foot was dedicated and opened to the public.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.