History of the Delano Branch Library
The Delano Branch was established in January 1912 in an old wooden building owned by the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). Originally, the Kern County Board of Supervisors refused financial support, so the librarian was funded by the Library Board in Delano. Through a variety of fundraising, including chicken pie dinners, plays, sponsoring movies, and local talent shows, the WCTU continued to fund the Delano Branch Library. Between 1912 and 1917, the branch moved often — from the WCTU building to Delano City Hall to the Delano Hotel to a house south of the hotel to the First National Bank Building, and then back to the Delano Hotel dining room. In 1917, WCTU raised money to purchase two lots, where a building was constructed and officially opened in October 1920. In 1957, the building was remodeled. The current Delano Branch Library was dedicated on September 28, 1966, and continues to be a strong presence in the 2nd most populated city in Kern County.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.