The Boron Branch Library was first established in 1929, located in the office of the Pacific Coast Borax Plant. In June 1936, the branch was moved to the Gephard Parent Teachers’ Club, and then moved again 3 years later to the Gephart School. In 1962, the Kern County Administrative Department recommended that the “library should move out of school buildings whenever possible,” and so the search for a new site for the Boron Branch Library began. On September 11, 1969, the branch was moved to 27070 Highway 58 in Boron. By 1984, more space was needed, so the branch was moved to 26967 Twenty Mule Team Road. The location was welcomed, because it was in the heart of Boron’s downtown area. The Boron Branch Library has remained there since. In 2005, the space was expanded from 2,000 to 3,000 square feet to accommodate more books, a study area, hands-on technology, updated equipment, and public computers. A few years later, air conditioning was installed. New materials were added, with the support of the Borax Visitor Center Foundation. With a new store front, fresh paint, new carpet, and more, the Boron Branch Library is a friendly facility.
History of the Boron Branch Library
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.