History of the Arvin Branch Library
The Arvin Branch Library was established in 1914 in the town’s post office. In 1929, records show that the Arvin Branch Library was housed in its own 600 square feet building. During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) authorized a construction project that would be the new Arvin Branch Library. Built in 1938, the building was constructed with adobe, cement stucco, painted white, with a red tiled roof. This was the first county-owned library building. During World War II and into the 1950’s, there were other library efforts to address the migrant community with a Migrant Branch, which was a small building open in the same area between 1950 and 1957. Additionally, during the 1958-59 school year, a contract with the Arvin School District increased community use of the Arvin Branch Library. In 1989, the adobe Arvin Branch Library was deemed seismically unsafe and it became clear that the Arvin Branch Library needed more space. Using federal funds, a new building was planned and constructed with funds from the California State Library and federal money through the Library Services and Construction Act, Title II, Community Development Block Grant funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Modeled after the first schoolhouse in Arvin, the new Arvin Branch Library opened in December, 1997.
For more information, read the eBook Kern County Library, A Century of Progress.