Library Code of Conduct
In order to promote the pleasant use of the Library and to assure the health and safety of the public, the following are not permitted:
- Smoking within the building.
- Bare feet within the building.
- Theft, marking or destruction of Library property.
- Loud noise or other activities constituting disorderly conduct disturbing the use of the Library by the public.
- Consumption of food or beverages within the building.
- Animals (other than guide dogs as defined by Civil Code Section 54.1)
- Selling goods or soliciting on Library grounds.
- Loitering or sleeping in the Library.
- Obstruction of walkways or aisles with personal possessions.
- Any other conduct disturbing the peaceful use of the Library by other patrons or the work of Library staff.
Any violation of these rules may result in a loss of library privileges. Unlawful activities will be dealt with in a serious and appropriate manner.
All patrons must leave the Library premises at closing time. Escorts, rides, etc., are the sole responsibility of the patron or parent, guardian or other authorized person. Patrons who need assistance to return home, such as minors or disabled adults, and who remain at the Library after closing, may be referred to the local police in order to ensure their safety.
These rules have been formulated with the assistance of the Kern County Counsel's Office. Adopted by the Kern County Board of Supervisors January 5, 1993.